During pregnancy, exercise can help you stay in shape and prepare for labor and delivery. In fact, pregnancy can be a great time to get active — even if you haven’t exercised in a while. During pregnancy, exercise can:
- Ease or prevent back pain and other discomforts
- Boost your energy level
- Prevent excess weight gain
- Reduce the risk of gestational diabetes, pregnancy-related high blood pressure and postpartum depression
- Increase stamina and muscle strength, which helps you prepare for labor
- Remember, before you begin an exercise program, make sure you have your health care provider’s OK.